Monday, June 23, 2008

Food Spotlight: Sushi

Being born in Japan (military family), I have a certain fondness toward sushi. The salty delicious taste of raw fish in your mouth. YUM! But seriously, it's good. I think most people who think it's "nasty" or "gross" haven't really tried sushi or had a bad batch which gave them salmonella. But the real reason I love sushi is because it tastes so good.

What is it?:
Sushi is vinegared rice that is usually topped with raw fish but other toppings such as vegetables can be substituted. In Japan, sliced raw fish alone is called sashimi and is distinct from sushi, as sashimi is the raw fish component, not the rice component. You thought wrong! The word sushi itself comes from an outdated grammatical form of a word that is no longer used in other contexts; literally, sushi means "it's sour." There are various types of sushi: sushi served rolled inside nori (dried and pressed layer sheets of seaweed or alga) called makizushi, or rolls; sushi made with toppings laid with hand-formed clumps of rice called nigirizushi; toppings stuffed into a small pouch of fried tofu called inarizushi; and toppings served scattered over a bowl of sushi rice called chirashi-zushi. All forms of sushi can be enjoyed with verious condiments such as soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, and others.

Nutritional Info:
Sushi is lowfat and rich in omega-3 unsaturated fat. Sushi also contains high levels of proteins, as well as vitamins and minerals. The only carbs in sushi are found in the rice and vegatables, not the actual fish.

Risks of eating:
Some species of fish such as tuna can sometimes contain high levels of mercury. Mercury can make you crazy or kill you. Uncooked seafood can also carry the bacterium Vibrio parahaemolyticus, which can cause extreme diarrhea.

Well that concludeds this editino of Food Spotlight. I hope you found it at least somewhat educational!

5 comments:

Niesha Miller said...

Freshman year I ate I ate my first piece of sushi and I hated it. The smell conquered my nose before I could chew. This post is very persuasive actually...maybe my first piece did come from a bad batch. haha
I shall try again!

Niesha Miller said...

Check my newest post! Tell me what you think!

The Cool Commentator said...

I have never tried sushi, never really had the urge too! For a while I used to walk passed a sushi bar but could never bring myself to sit down and try it! Maybe I wil in future.

Have a read of my blog! :)

::beccaELECTROCUTE said...

that's an interesting picture you have there....
princess mononoke is my favorite for sure.
thanks! my friend kayla drew it for me.
we both got our hair dyed/cut around the same time and both our hair turned out bad, lol.
hers looks like trixie from speedracer and and mine looks like the lead singer of paramore :/
so yah...the result was that great picture!
and i love sushi!
my fave is california rolls!
my sister and brother are pretty heavy into anime, too, especially inuyasha and deathnote.
i like those shows, but im more of the manga-reading type.
i like full metal alchemist too!
even though it's really sad...that's why i don't watch it too much, it's pretty depressing, you know?

augustyna_d said...

I've always loved sushi!
When it comes to food I love experimenting with flavour, love trying new things! Anewho, on my winter break I decided to go to China Town (which has lil' Japanese restaurants there).. 'n I asked for all the things I needed to make it at home. When I got home, it took me like 4 hours to make (haha). But surprisingly the end result was delish! Now when I make it, I switch it up a bit> I go Mediterranean and put feta cheese, peppers, and olives lol. Makes a good snack! =)